I came across a job right up my alley. The job is entitled Data Scientist.
I thought I would post it, in case that keyword would help those looking for this type of work sometime in the future.
Here's the job description, from a company called Covance:
Work with key business groups (e.g. Informatics Product Development, Informatics Analytics, Central Labs Project and Program Managers, Clinical Development Project and Program Managers, Information Technology, etc.) to develop and execute processes to collect data, perform data quality assurance, and to structure Informatics data
* Responsible for the accurate preparation (visualization) of this data for clinical metrics, operational analysis, clinical and financial forecasting.
* Execute recurring data mining and process activities that provide the foundation key analytic capabilities.
* Serve as a professional interface providing operational analytic and financial reports to customers (both internal and external)
* Translate data mining activities into actionable business information
* Provide recommendations for clinical forecasting decision making process.
* Support the development of various data visualization needs. These could be departmental, cross-functional, and/or externally consumed.
* Work directly with external vendors for forecasting and analytic support
* Help the Analytics team to develop innovative business solutions by applying high-end analytics using analytic applications (i.e. SAS, Spotfire, MicroStrategy) to Covance data.
* Help the Analytics team in the design and development of the prototype systems and processes to support strategic initiatives, capability development, forecasting efforts, capacity management, and resource optimization efforts within Covance businesses.
* Provide appropriate analytic tool trainings (i.e. SAS, Spotfire, MicroStrategy) training to Informatics team members.
* Provide analytic expertise to Informatics team members.
* Work towards alignment of the Informatics vision and culture within the organization.
* Communicate Informatics model and operational directions to peers/management and gain commitment.
Education/Qualifications * Bachelor's degree required
* MS/MBA preferred
Experience * Overall 10 – 15 years relevant analytics and data mining & modeling work experience
* Work experience should include Business and Scientific Analysis or related fields, e.g., Scientific Research and Development, Operations Research, Management Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or Engineering
* At least 3 years of practical working experience in the Pharmaceutical Drug Development Processes, Pharmaceutical service businesses, or general company operations required
* Proven ability to apply high-end analytics to large business data and help develop innovative and cutting-edge business solutions that will drive both top-line and bottom-line growth.
* Preparing material and leading presentations to a mixed audience of business and technical staff
* Ability to communicate effectively to both operational staff and senior business leaders
* Proven ability to develop and execute sophisticated data mining & modeling solutions
* Examples of delivering solutions that have direct impact to business value in terms of either time, quality, or cost (savings or revenue generation)
* Depending on experience, interests, and skills, additional responsibilities may include statistical, mathematical, or bioinformatics data analysis.
* Advanced usage and experience in Data Visualization Software (TIBCO Spotfire, MicroStrategy, Xcelsius, etc.), Access programming, VBA and database structure; Advanced skills in Microsoft applications, MS Access and Excel. Advanced skills in the application and use of estimation software application(s).
* Experience with other high-level languages for applications, scripting, and/or data analysis (e.g. Python, Perl, Java, S Plus) is desirable.
* Experience involving code management and/or data management and/or data analysis is required.
* Strong attention to detail and excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical
EEO Employer Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. (M/F/D/V). Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us